Tuesday, September 29, 2009

couldn't help it -- here's another post.

I was watching one of the greatest movies ever with my mom the other night... Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. These beautiful words Frodo says at the end when he's writing his story have stuck with me ever since.

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand there is no going back?"

I can't explain how I felt when I heard these words. There's no denying it, my life and my heart have been changed forever. India, the handicapped babies, the starving filthy children dressed in rags, the dying women of kalighat who were found all alone, the lepers, the people sleeping on cardboard in the street consume my thoughts every day, and from there they wander to thoughts of other countries full of suffering people, all the way to thoughts of those around me here at home that are hurting. Eventually, I think of them all together and the weight nearly brings me to my knees, crushes me, steals my breath. There is no going back.

1 comment: